This week, we will be reading stories about numbers and counting. Toddlers love to count (and they are really good at the number TWO), so encourage them to practice counting during your daily routine. Concepts you can practice with your child include
- One-to-one correlations – understanding that if there is one cat in the room, we count ONE CAT. If there are two cats in the room, we count ONE TWO CATS.
- Numerical order – being able to count up – 1,2,3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Or count down 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
- Number recognition – Understanding that 1 = one. 2 = two. and so forth.
- Greater than & Less than – Understanding that a pile of three apples is bigger than a pile with two apples.
- Basic addition & subtraction – Understanding how to add MORE to a group, or how to make a group smaller by taking something away.
Of course, you can practice these concepts through play and fun! My Pinterest board includes a lot of fun ideas for educational number play. And books are also a great way to reinforce these concepts as well.
Our books this week include:
We’ll be counting DOWN (from 5 to 0) with the song Five Little Ducks Went Out One Day. “Five Little…” rhymes are a great way to practice either counting UP to five, or counting DOWN. I love them because there seems to be a “five little” rhyme for every theme!
What can you count this week?